Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer Reading: The Handmade Marketplace


In trying to learn more about this craft world, which so many people seem to excel in, with their exploding sales and stories of quitting their day jobs, I recently read "The Handmade Marketplace" by Kari Chapin. A quick read, this book is full of useful information and clever tips. Depending on your experience in selling your work, much of the guidance may seem fundamental, but don't skip over any sections you think you have covered, there will probably be a suggestion or two that you have not thought of.

Not only does Kari Chapin share her own innovative ideas, but her "creative collective" does as well. This is a group of her colleagues, other artists who are successful in the field, including the illustrator of the book, Emily Martin. It was refreshing to read about the experiences of other artists every few pages. The many different viewpoints and ideas to consider surrounding each topic, helped to spark my own imagination even more when pondering a given subject.

With topics ranging from coming up with a name for your venture, to hiring help, I enjoyed every page. As I read, I was mentally checking off things I've already done, and making a list of things I should do. I plan to read the book again, with a pen and pad in hand to write down the many ideas I thought were good for my own business.

I would recommend this book to anyone who already sells items they make, or those who wish to do so. The piece of advice that I have been thinking about the most is that you need to bring in revenue from multiple channels, as the market is volatile, and it is risky to rely on one source of income.

No comments:

Post a Comment